Oct 9, 2011

A Bun in the Oven

Yes, it's true.  I have one- in my oven, so to speak!  Surprise!  Although this baby was completely unplanned, and such a mystery as to how it happened, we are all thrilled.  Admittedly, the idea of a child did give my husband and I a freak-out moment or two when we first saw the plus sign on the, count 'em- THREE pregnancy tests, but I knew that this had to be destiny.  Only a month or so earlier, quite an unusual thought entered my mind, which I shared with Mike.  You see, I had never really longed for children like many women do- never felt the biological clock ticking or anything like that, and was perfectly content with the thought of being a childless couple.  But out of the blue, I told Mike that if we ever got pregnant, I would want to have it no matter what.  Although that statement was quickly followed by a don't-hold-your-breath-though disclaimer, it seems in hindsight a very interesting premonition.  


So here we are at the beginning of my 2nd trimester, and I have to tell you- my relationship with food has changed.  As expected, odd cravings and repulsions, along with feeling constantly and annoyingly... pukey, my motivations in the kitchen have been somewhat limited to eating foods that are quick to prepare, and (hopefully) easy to keep down.  One of my few wierd repulsions include anything with cinnamon.  This is undoubtedly a terrible time of the year to hate cinnamon, but there it is.  


These sticky buns would most likely make the most amazing cinnamon rolls, if you want to add a couple teaspoons of the stuff (yuck!)... but for my present state of pukeyness, I am omitting.


Side note:  leftover dough can also make a cute bear.  Can you tell that I feel like it's going to be a boy?
...We'll see...
Maple Pecan (Un-Cinnamon) Sticky Buns

Ingredients:
(Makes 12-18 buns)

Dough:
2 1/4 tsp. dry active yeast (1 package)
1/3 C. + 1 tsp. sugar
1/2 C. lukewarm water
3/4 C. non-dairy milk (I used soymilk)
6 T. canola oil
1/4 C. Vegenaise
1/4 tsp. salt
31/2 - 4 C. white spelt flour (or all purpose)

Filling:
1/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. sugar
1/4 C. spelt (or all purpose) flour
1/2 C. crushed pecans
1/2 C. raisins
2 T. Earth Balance margarine (chilled)

Icing:
1 C. powdered sugar
1/4 C. maple syrup
2 T. melted EB margarine
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Spinz:

In a large mixing bowl, add yeast to the lukewarm water and 1 tsp. of sugar.  Allow it to sit until frothy.  Add non dairy milk, canola oil, Vegenaise, and salt, and whisk together until combined.  Add flour a little at a time until a dough forms.  Add a little more if the dough is sticky- it should become a smooth elastic dough that doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl.  Knead for about 5 minutes.  Cover and set aside to double in size (about an hour).  

For the filling, mix all the ingredients except the margarine, until well combined.  Set aside.  After the dough has finished proofing, punch down and roll out onto a floured surface with a rolling pin until about 1/2" thick.  Sprinkle filling evenly over dough, then cut little pieces of margarine to dot the dough.  Roll carefully and as tightly as possible.  Press to close the end, and cut into 12 even buns.  

Arrange the buns in a prepared baking pan (they can be pretty snug, but remember that they will expand).  Cover, and let sit for another 30 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.  Keep an eye on them, as oven temps can vary.  You want the bottoms to be golden, and the tops firm to the touch.  

For the icing, whisk all ingredients together until combined.  Drizzle over warm buns. 

Best when served warm and fresh!


NOTE: You can also freeze the raw roll, thaw, and bake later or refrigerate and bake a few days later.

Ultrasound at 14 weeks... amazing how the little sucker was moving around!  Not so clear in the picture, but we could see the spine, arms and legs, and little heart beating.  We could've watched for hours.


24 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That must be exciting.
    The sticky buns look wonderful. I would probably have to add the cinnamon though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!

    And what wonderful looking sticky buns. I've never seen Vegenaise used in a sweet before, so that's really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!

    The bun bear is too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those buns look delishioso :)

    Congrats on reaching 2nd trimester :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! My sister has one on the way too :) These look incredible (the little bear too).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, let me add my congratulations! Your bear is way adorable, too, and the buns look fab. And, you know, I'm sure your baby will end up looking more attractive, humanly speaking, than the ultrasound, which frankly looks like the Milky Way to me (don't they all). May your taste buds return to normal as soon as may be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is clearly fate! Wow, I want to wish you a big, huge CONGRATULATIONS as well, this is such wonderful news. I just know that you'll be a great mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! That's so awesome! Love the little bear shaped bun! So cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to you both! Both your bear bun and sticky bun look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations. Your buns look outstanding. You are on a roll!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey! I have an award for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats!
    The teddy bear is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to you, and I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. found you on finding vegan

    great recipe and GREAT STORY!

    congrats!!!!

    "and such a mystery as to how it happened" <--- I have a guess or two :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love boys! (And girls too. If that's how it pans out. I was so sure my first one was a girl. I was wrong.)

    And in non-baby comments, even without the dreaded spice you make those buns look completely enticing.

    I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! You will be a wonderful mother. I was like you regarding having children, never really longing to have kids like alot of women do. My family even knew how I felt so they were very surprised when I was pregnant. Now I have a wonderful 13yr old boy whom I love so much and can't imagine my life without him. You will experience a love that no words can express until you have a child. I'm so happy for you and hope you are feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulation to your baby! When I was pregnant I too was inspired to bake things, that was my pastime and also a preparation so that I can serve my child healthy and delicious food. I bet your gonna be a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on the baby, you also have an award on my blog.

    http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

    MILLIE

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats! How awesome.
    Wishing you a happy, healthy and cinnamon free pregnancy and an easy birth.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just found your blog through Levon, and I love it!! Congratulations on your new bun, and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great new spin on an old favorite of mine. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats! And seriously, what an odd premonition! This recipe looks absolutely delicious btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. woww....that's too delicious..yummy..

    ReplyDelete