Mar 24, 2009

Home Made Melba Toast for "Melba Toast Day"

Yesterday was Melba Toast Day. No, I'm not kidding. I read on another blog that Lemon Chiffon Cake Day was coming up, and I just had to google that... because, wtf? Who comes up with these "days?" Well, I found a huge list of celebrated US National Food Days. There's something to celebrate for every single day of the year- some even have more than one! Check it out, and let me know which one is your favorite! National Kitchen Klutz Day and Eat Anything You Want Day cracked me up! Although I highly doubt that any of these "days" were the result of presidential proclamations, they're pretty entertaining.

Today is actually Chocolate Covered Raisin Day, but I didn't feel too inspired by that one.

Mark was telling me how his grandmother in England used to make her own crackers by simply rolling sliced bread very thin and baking them until crisp. What a great idea! I sprinkled some sesame seeds and caraway seeds onto whole wheat sandwich bread before rolling it out, and came up with these. I left the crusts on, but you can cut them off to make them extra fancy. Use your favorite spices, seeds, nuts, etc. to make your own flavor combination.

I baked mine at 300 for 10-12 minutes and under the broiler for a couple additional minutes.

Yesterday was also "Chip and Dip Day," so I ate these with some creamy hummus... perfect. I feel so "with it."

8 comments:

  1. Who would have guessed there was a Melba Toast day? Chocolate covered raisins aren't my thing either, though I do know of a vegan source for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great! I never thought of making melba toast. Oh happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a great idea for crackers! totally dig how easy that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha i love that list! wish i owned a bakery or something so i could celebrate and spread the delicious news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, awesome link. Turns out I'm born on a double day. Both National Cream Filled Donut Day and Eat a Hoagie Day although I don't really know what a Hoagie is.......

    I love your Melba Toast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Vegetation: A hoagie is a big honkin' sandwich! LOL - sounds like you scored big time with that and donuts on your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Seriously a day for everything. Variety is the spice of life and all that I guess!

    Mmm, hummus and crackers. Soo good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That list is hilarious! Thanks for sharing. Nice melba toasts!

    ReplyDelete